Resolution No. 9571
DEPUTATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT, INCLUDING THE NATIONAL POLICE COMMISSION, THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE, AND OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES TO ENSURE HONEST, ORDERLY, PEACEFUL AND CREDIBLE CONDUCT OF THE MAY 13, 2013 AUTOMATED NATIONAL AND LOCAL ELECTIONS
Promulgation: 06 December 2012
WHEREAS, pursuant to the Constitution, the Omnibus Election Code, Republic Act No. 9369, and other election laws, the Commission on Elections (Commission) may deputize law enforcement agencies and instrumentalities of the government;
WHEREAS, to ensure honest, orderly, peaceful and credible conduct of the May 13, 2013 National and Local Elections, there is a need to deputize, with the concurrence of the President of the Republic of the Philippines, law enforcement agencies and instrumentalities of the government, and to prescribe their duties and functions as deputized agencies;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Commission, by virtue of the powers vested in it by the Constitution, the Omnibus Election Code, Republic Act No. 9369, and other related election laws, has RESOLVED, as it hereby RESOLVES to deputize the following law enforcement agencies and instrumentalities of the government:
THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT (DILG) THE NATIONAL POLICE COMMISSION (NAPOLCOM) AND THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE (PNP)
The DILG, NAPOLCOM, and PNP are hereby deputized in connection with the May 13, 2013 national and local elections, elections, to:
- Effect no changes in the assignments of PNP personnel, during the election period from January 13, 2013 to June 12, 2013, without the prior written permission of the Commission;
- Provide security to polling places, polling centers/voting centers, and such other places or building, as the Commission through its Election Officer so requires;
- Provide security to the personnel of the Commission, its deputies and other persons performing election-related functions and the election paraphernalia, equipment, forms and supplies;
- Deploy, at the least time possible, troops for election duty in coordination with the Regional Election Director and the Provincial Election Supervisor in the said province;
- Make available, at the least time possible, land, air and water-craft assets, communication systems and other equipment, in connection with the delivery and retrieval of election equipment, documents, supplies, forms and paraphernalia;
- Look into the existence of any armed group organized to commit, or which is committing or attempting to commit, acts of terrorism, or threats to intimidate or coerce any person to vote for or against a candidate, and to suppress or prevent said acts of terrorism or threats;
- Assist the Commission in implementing more effectively election laws and/or rules and regulations, particularly the laws governing prohibition against military, policemen and provincial guards acting as bodyguards or security guards for the candidates, the use of armored vehicles and air or water-craft, and the prohibition on bearing, carrying or transporting firearms and other deadly weapons in public places;
- Conduct a periodic assessment of the peace and order conditions in critical areas and recommend measures which may be adopted by the Commission in the interest of free, orderly, honest, peaceful and credible elections;
- Comply with and/or implement directives or resolutions which the Commission may issue or promulgate from time to time;
- Make effective measures to prevent members of civilian vigilante units and barangay tanods from engaging in partisan political activities or any act of terrorism, intimidation, coercion, harassment or reprisal;
- Take steps to prevent private security agencies from acting as private armies of any candidate or as campaigners for terroristic or violent acts against persons in connection with May 13, 2013 National, Local and ARMM Regional Elections;
- Implement strictly the rules and regulations promulgated by the Commission;
- Perform such other functions and duties or implement such other directives as the Commission may issue from time to time; and
- Render periodic reports on actions taken in accordance with this deputation.
THE NATIONAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), its Director and all agents under him are designated deputies for purposes of the May 13, 2013 Automated National, Local and ARMM Regional Elections and, upon prior order from the Commission:
- Deploy its agents to designated areas in order to effectively carry out the objective of this Resolution, furnishing the Commission with a list of said agents;
- provision of the Omnibus Election Code and other pertinent election laws and the Rules and Regulations promulgated by the Commission;
- Report from time to time to the Commission actions taken by him or his agents pursuant to this Resolution; and
- Comply with the orders and directives of the Commission, which shall be given priority over orders and directives from other sources, except the Supreme Court and those issued in habeas corpus proceedings.
THE BUREAU OF JAIL MANAGEMENT AND PENOLOGY
The Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) and its Directors, are hereby designated deputies of the Commission to enforce the following provision of the Omnibus Election Code:
“SEC. 261 (n). Illegal release of prisoners before and after election. – The Director of the Bureau of Prisons, any provincial warden, the keeper of the jail or the person or persons required by law to keep prisoner in their custody who illegally orders or allows any prisoner detained in the national penitentiary, or the provincial, city or municipal jail to leave the premises thereof sixty days before and thirty days after the election. The municipal or city warden, the provincial warden, the keeper of the jail or the person or persons required by law to keep prisoners in their custody shall post in three conspicuous public places a list of the prisoners or detention prisoners under their care. Detention prisoners must be categorized as such.”,
and to comply with all orders, directives and resolutions, which the Commission may from time to time, promulgate.
PRECEDENCE OF COMELEC ORDERS
Orders issued by the Commission in connection with the May 13, 2013 Automated National, Local and ARMM Regional Elections shall take precedence over and above the orders and directives issued by any other office or agency of the Government.
However, nothing contained herein shall be construed as in any manner affecting or constituting an impairment of the Constitutional powers of the President of the Philippines to conduct and direct the general peace-keeping functions of the Philippines National Police.
This Resolution shall take effect on the seventh (7th) day following its publication in at least two (2) daily newspapers of general circulation in the Philippines.
The Executive Director shall furnish copies of this Resolution to all of the above deputized officials and/or departments, agencies or offices through their respective heads, the Regional Election Directors, the Provincial Election Supervisors and Election Officers/Officers-In-Charge concerned, and coordinate with the above-named departments, offices or agencies for effective implementation thereof.
The Education and Information Department shall cause the publication of this Resolution in at least two (2) daily newspapers of general circulation in the Philippines, and disseminate this Resolution for the information of the public.
|(Sgd.) SIXTO S. BRILLANTES, JR.|
|(Sgd.) RENE V. SARMIENTO
|(Sgd.) LUCENITO N. TAGLE
|(Sgd.) ARMANDO C. VELASCO
|(Sgd.) ELIAS R. YUSOPH
|(Sgd.) CHRISTIAN ROBERT S. LIM
|(Sgd.) MARIA GRACIA CIELO M. PADACA
Download PDF Version [.pdf] [432 KB]